Katy Spousal Support Lawyers
Providing Guidance in All Spousal Support Matters
The Texas Family Code outlines several scenarios where individuals may be eligible to receive support payments from their ex-spouse. Hunt Law Firm counsels and represents individuals who are eligible to petition a court for spousal maintenance payments.
Spousal support, also known as alimony or spousal maintenance, is a fact-based inquiry in Texas and is by no means automatic. Spousal support, if awarded, is generally determined as part of a divorce. A judge must determine eligibility for spousal support and the amount.
How Is Spousal Support Determined?
Individuals may be eligible to receive spousal support if their spouse was convicted (or received deferred adjudication) for a family violence offense during the marriage if the offense occurred within the last two years or while the divorce proceedings are ongoing.
Generally, individuals may be eligible for spousal support for the following:
- When they cannot earn enough income for minimal needs because of physical/mental disability
- When they have been married for 10 or more years and now lack the ability to earn enough income
- When they have custody of a child of the marriage who requires substantial care and supervision
Individuals may be eligible to receive spousal support if their spouse was convicted for a family violence offense during the marriage, if the offense occurred within the last two years, or during ongoing divorce proceedings. This may also be true if the spouse received deferred adjudication.
Contact Hunt Law Firm at (832) 781-0320 today to learn more.
Determining Factors in Spousal Maintenance
The Texas Family Code includes a list of factors judges use to determine support, including:
- Capacity to provide for his or her own minimal needs independently
- Level of education and skills of employment
- How long the marriage has lasted
- History of employment, age, and earning capacity
- Physical and emotional condition of the person
- Effects of providing for personal needs along with child support
- Property that the spouse brought into the marriage
- Contributions to the marriage and family as a homemaker
Schedule an Initial Consultation at (832) 781-0320
In order to seek, enforce, or modify spousal support, it is important to hire a trusted Katy, TX divorce lawyer who has your best interests in mind. At Hunt Law Firm, our skilled attorneys provide representation personalized to the goals and objectives of each client, with the focus on favorable outcomes. Our firm works to fully advocate on each client's behalf to reach positive results.
Call our firm to schedule your initial consultation regarding your spousal support case.
We use technology to reduce costs, including access to an online client portal.
Compassionate & Honest
You'll get an attorney who is compassionate, receptive, and responsive to your needs.
One on One Attention
You'll receive personalized attention from our small, boutique firm.
Quick Response Time
You can almost always expect a call back in 24 hours, with most being returned the same day.