Adoption Attorney in Katy, TX
Legal Guidance for Adoptive Parents
Hunt Law Firm provides representation for adoptive parents as they journey through the adoption process. Not only will the firm represent adoptive parents in court proceedings, but our attorneys will also provide the guidance and support necessary to complete an adoption with as little unneeded stress as possible.
Contact Hunt Law Firm, PLLC to learn about how we can help you navigate the adoption process.
Our firm represents:
- Foster parents
- Family members
- Fictive kin
What Are the Adoption Requirements in Texas?
- Age of 21 or older
- Have a stable financial situation
- Be mature and responsible
- Apply for adoption
- Information about your background and lifestyle
- References are required
- (If applicable) Provide proof of marriage and/or divorce
- The home study must be completed
- Submit all adults living in the household to criminal background checks and child abuse checks
A criminal check must be performed in Texas for out-of-state couples hoping to adopt in Texas. The purpose of this security measure is to ensure that every couple adopting a child from Texas has met the same requirements. These security measures were implemented to prevent child trafficking across state lines and to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all children being adopted in the state.
Private Adoption in Texas
Hunt Law Firm assists adoptive parents in private adoption matters. Our Katy adoption attorneys take a receptive approach to working with adoptive clients, and will ensure they are comfortable and informed throughout the process. From start to finish, whether the child is born yet or not, we guide families, keeping them informed every step of the way.
No matter your particular situation, it is important to retain legal counsel you can trust. Contact Hunt Law Firm today!
Hunt Law Firm represents individuals and families wishing to adopt a child after a biological parent's rights have been terminated in court. Termination petitions may be brought privately or by the government and relinquishment or termination of parental rights is often the result of proceedings brought by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS), specifically the division known as Child Protective Services (CPS).
Termination opens up a child for adoption by another individual or couple. If you are looking to adopt a child whose parents' rights have been terminated, Hunt Law Firm can help.
Stepparent Adoption Texas
In Texas, the stepparent adoption process involves:
- Filing a Petition to Adopt – like many other legal matters, the adoption process starts with filing paperwork with a family court. A Katy adoption attorney will be able to guide you through this step, and can make sure everything is filed properly.
- Termination of Parental Rights – the second step in the adoption process requires the child’s other biological parent to sign an agreement which terminates their parental rights (if they are known/alive). If they refuse, the case will go to court, where a judge will decide whether or not termination should occur and whether an adoption is in the child’s best interests.
- A Social Study is Performed – next, the court will order a social study to be performed, in which a qualified evaluator will look at financial and employment background information, conduct an initial screening, and make observations about the home and environment.
- Appointment of the Amicus Attorney – In Texas, an Amicus Attorney is typically appointed to essentially repeat much of the social study. This is a third-party, unbiased lawyer who will make their recommendation as to whether or not the adoption will be in the best interest of the child.
Why Choose Hunt Law Group As Your Adoption Lawyer in Katy, Texas?
Alex Hunt handles all Katy family law cases with a meticulous attention to detail. During a consultation with him, he listens to his clients and creates a comfortable environment to discuss the details of their cases. Family law is practiced by Hunt Law Firm in Katy and throughout Harris County and Fort Bend County. A few of the areas served by the firm are Sugar Land, Houston, Rosenberg, Richmond, Fulshear, and Cypress.
Schedule your initial consultation by contacting us today.
Alex Hunt Attorney
R. Melissa Masoom Attorney
Margaret Tucker Attorney
David Adams Attorney
Bri Holcombe Attorney
Liana Dixon Attorney
Kourtney Parker Attorney
Stephanie Melgar Garcia Attorney
Kallie Jones Paralegal, Office Manager
Genevieve Jackson Intake Coordinator
Tiffany Clarkson Legal Secretary, Receptionist
Melissa Tubbs Paralegal
Alexis Bates Paralegal
Tosha Steadman Paralegal
“Yanine Krohn did a great job handling my case!”- Scott
“Recomiendo mucho a la Sra. Dixon y al bufete de abogados Hunt Law Firm”- Lane
“I would give them my highest recommendation.”- Crystal
Quick Response Time
You can almost always expect a call back in 24 hours, with most being returned the same day.
One on One Attention
You'll receive personalized attention from our small, boutique firm.
Compassionate & Honest
You'll get an attorney who is compassionate, receptive, and responsive to your needs.
We use technology to reduce costs, including access to an online client portal.