Skip to Content

Enforcement & Contempt

Protecting Your Rights & Your Child's Well-Being in Katy, TX

Although a person who is ordered by a court to pay child support, spousal support, or grant access to a child is required by law to comply with that order, the reality is that this unfortunately doesn't always happen.

If the court has ordered your former spouse to pay child or spousal support, and he or she has failed to do so, you could benefit from the help of a knowledgeable attorney to guide you through your legal path to seek enforcement. Hunt Law Firm represents individuals who are seeking to enforce a pre-existing court order throughout Texas.

Our firm may be able to assist you if someone has an obligation to provide:

If you are not receiving what a judge ordered another party to deliver, the Hunt Law Firm can help you determine the ideal course of action. From paperwork and meetings with the opposing attorney, to representation in front of a judge, our attorneys can assist you in the often complex enforcement process.

Child Support Enforcement in Texas

When parents divorce, they are still both legally responsible to support their children. When a family court orders a non-custodial parent to pay child support, he or she will typically be subject to income withholding (also sometimes known as “garnishment”). This means that the parent’s employer will be required to deduct the child support from the paying parent’s paycheck. From there, the state disburses the support payments to the custodial parent.

In Texas, parents are required to financially support their children until they turn 18 or graduate high school, whichever comes later. Texas uses a percentage of income model, which can be reduced if the custodial parent is supporting other children from a different relationship.

When a child support order is issued through a divorce decree, it is registered with the Office of the Attorney General (OAG), which is the agency responsible for enforcing collection measures for past-due child support. If the non-custodial parent is self-employed or unemployed and failing to pay child support, the OAG will often try to obtain money from the non-custodial parent by using tools available to the state.

Other methods of collecting child support arrears:

  • Judgments
  • Liens against personal property
  • Liens against real estate property
  • Lottery winnings intercept
  • Tax refund intercept
  • Income withholding for current and past-due support

In addition to the above, the non-custodial parent may be held in contempt of court, which can translate into incarceration. The OAG can suspend a parent’s driver’s license and professional license, such as a license to practice law, medicine, or real estate. If the parent owes more than $2,500 in child support, he or she may be denied a U.S. Passport, so the parent cannot travel outside the United States.

Child support does not go away. It cannot be included in bankruptcy and it does not stop being reported on one’s credit after seven years. Even if a child turns 18, the non-custodial parent still owes the money and the OAG can initiate collection measures at any time. There is not statute of limitations for collecting child support.

Meet With Our Katy Enforcement Lawyers During a Private Consultation

If you need an ethical, responsive Katy divorce lawyer on your side as you seek to resolve your family law matter, Hunt Law Firm can provide trusted guidance. Call today to schedule a consultation appointment to discuss the details of your case.

Contact Hunt Law Firm online or call us at (832) 781-0320


Skilled Litigators & Counselors At Law

  • Quick Response Time

    You can almost always expect a call back in 24 hours, with most being returned the same day.

  • One-on-One Attention
    You can always count on receiving personalized attention from our small, boutique firm.
  • Compassionate & Honest

    You'll get an attorney who is compassionate, receptive, and responsive to your needs.

  • Cost-Effective Firm

    We utilize the latest technology to reduce costs, including access to an online client portal.


    "Mr. Hunt was responsive from the start."
    Mr. Hunt was responsive from the start, replying to my initial inquiry questions on a Sat/Sun. My case had urgency, and the staff got my case started right away. Brittany took time to explain the priority and timelines for information they needed from me.
    "Alex Hunt and his team are top notch."
    Alex Hunt and his team are top notch. I have been using them for over 3 years and can't say enough about their professionalism and quality of work.
    "I found a Law Firm that really cares!"
    I found a Law Firm that really cares! From the very first call to set an appointment to the signing of my prepared estate planning docs. I was treated was patience, respect and complete professionalism.
    "I’ll be recommending this amazing firm to everyone in the future."
    Melissa Masoom and her team are absolutely wonderful. I’ll be recommending this amazing firm to everyone in the future.
    "Working with the Hunt Law Firm made our estate preparation seamless."
    Right from the initial consultation meeting, to the final signing, the entire staff provided the needed support to accomplish our objectives.
    "Did exactly what we needed in a very professional way."
    Fantastic, friendly, and efficient service! Did exactly what we needed in a very professional way. Would definitely recommend them for Estate Planning.
  • Life Fellow Texas Bar Foundation
  • Child Welfare Law Specialist Certified
  • Texas Bar College
  • Avvo 10.0 Rating
  • Houston's Top Lawyers 2016
  • Super Lawyers - Rising Star
  • Best of Katy 2021 by the Katy Times

Take The First Step


We offer in-office consultations in our Katy, Cypress, Sugar Land, and League City locations or phone and video consultations for those who are unable to meet in person.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • Please make a selection.