Skip to Content

Recreational License Suspensions for Past-Due Child Support


Can You Get a Fishing License if You Owe Child Support?

Can You Get a Fishing License if You Owe Child Support?If you’re a noncustodial parent who pays child support, you may not realize it but all states have laws on the books that authorize the suspension or revocation of certain licenses when a parent fails to pay child support, and Texas is no exception. Generally, the licenses affected are driver’s, professional, occupational, business, and recreational (e.g. hunting and fishing licenses). For the purposes of this article, we’re going to discuss the latter, recreational license suspensions.

If you enjoy hunting and fishing and you fall behind on child support, your recreational licenses can be suspended. In Texas, everyone (residents and non-residents) regardless of age are required to have a hunting license to hunt any animal or bird, with limited exceptions. Fishing is generally the same as hunting; if you want to fish in freshwater or saltwater, you must have a valid fishing license.

To learn more about the effects of owing child support in Texas, contact our team today.

Hunting & Fishing License Suspensions

“Each state imposes its own criteria for the amount of arrears the obligor (the person who owes child support) must owe for a license to be suspended or revoked and the amount of time the obligor must be delinquent before suspension or revocation occurs,” according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

In Texas, once a paying parent is in arrears three months or more, their hunting and fishing and other licenses can be suspended. Other licenses at risk of suspension in Texas include:

  • Business licenses
  • Driver’s licenses
  • Occupational licenses
  • Professional licenses
  • Recreational licenses

To learn more about license suspensions for past-due child support in Texas, click here. For professional legal assistance with your child support case, please contact us at (832) 781-0320.