Skip to Content

Why Do Houston Courts Like Geographic Restrictions?

Hunt Law Firm

Per the Texas Family Code, the non-custodial or non-primary parent has the right to frequent, continuing contact with their child. When the primary parent wishes to move out of the area or out of state, however, things can get messy. To prevent these legal issues, and ensure that the child has contact with both parents, Texas courts will almost always impose a geographic restriction in any custody order.

Seeking to move, or to block a relocation attempt? Contact us today for your initial consultation.

What Is a Geographic Restriction?

As the name suggests, a geographic restriction is essentially a limit as to where the primary parent is allowed to move with their child. In Katy, for example, a restriction may allow the primary parent to move anywhere within Harris, Waller, and Fort Bend counties, and typically contiguous counties to Harris like Montgomery, Brazoria, Chambers, Liberty, and Galveston.

When Won’t a Restriction Be Imposed?

Although geographic restrictions are ubiquitous in Texas, there are some judges who are less likely to implement such a limitation. Depending on the circumstances of the case, they may determine that such a restriction would not be in the best interests of the child. Perhaps the strongest example of this is in cases of domestic violence, where the non-primary parent may not even have a right to visit with the child.

Why Are These Restrictions So Common?

Texas, like many other states, encourages parents to be involved in their child’s life – even if they are no longer together. In any matter involving a child, the child’s best interest will be prioritized over the convenience and desires of the parents.

At Hunt Law Firm, PLLC, our Katy child custody attorneys have a comprehensive understanding of these restrictions, and all other aspects of a custody order. Regardless of how complex your situation may feel, you can count on our team to provide the dedicated and highly effective counsel you need.

Do not take risks with your parent-child relationship. Call (832) 781-0320 today to learn how we can help.

Share To: