Call Us Today

What Are The Steps To Change My Name As An Adult?

There are many reasons for wanting to change your name. They include professional reasons, wanting to differentiate yourself, or simply not liking your given name. However, an adult name change in Texas usually requires a Court Order. Generally, courts will approve a name change for any legitimate reason as long as it is in the best interest of the public.

The following are the steps when changing your name as an adult in Texas:

  1. File Original Petition. We will draft the Original Petition requesting your name change. Once you approve it, this document will be filed with the Court.
  2. Court and Cause No. Assigned. Once the Petition is filed, the district clerk will assign your case to a specific court and provide a unique cause number.
  3. Get Fingerprints Taken. Prior to changing your name, the Texas Family Code requires that your background and criminal history be checked by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) prior to the judge considering your name change request. You will need to get your fingerprints taken by a court-approved location. We will provide you with a list.
  4. Complete Background Check. Once we receive your fingerprint cards, we will send them to DPS so a background and criminal history check can be completed. DPS will then directly provide the completed background check to the court.
  5. File Order Granting Change of Name of Adult. After the court receives your background check, we will draft your Order Granting Change of Name of Adult. This Order will need to include why a name change is in the best interest of you and the public. After you approve the order, we will file it with the court and set a date for our court appearance.
  6. Court Appearance. At the court hearing, before the judge can sign the Order, we will ask you a few simple questions before the court to “prove-up” the name change. This will include testifying to the contents of the Order and the reason you are seeking a name change.
  7. Update Name with Agencies. Once the judge grants and signs the Order granting your name change, we will provide you with certified copies of the Order. Those certified copies will allow you to change your name on your driver’s license, Social Security card, Passport, birth certificate, etc.

Reach Out to Our Compassionate and Capable Legal Team

Regardless of why you are changing your name, it is worth consulting with an experienced lawyer before doing so. At Hunt Law Firm, PLLC, our competent team of litigators fully understands the paperwork and filing requirements necessary for an adult name change. We are also deeply familiar with the court appearance process and may represent you if necessary.

We would be happy to speak with you further if you are interested in a name change. For any further questions about these steps, feel free to contact Hunt Law Firm at (832) 781-0320 to arrange to speak with a Katy family attorney.

Related Posts
  • How To Prepare for a Deposition Read More
  • Best Practices for a Zoom Hearing Read More
  • Being Single on Valentine's Day Read More